One of the best ways to improve the use of your home is to create a comfortable and functional seating area outdoors. Define the seating area by starting with an outdoor area rug. This can also add a pop of color or pattern. Add some seating in the form of comfortable chairs, a sofa or loveseat and a small table or two to hold drinks.
Lighting allows you to use the space at night and when electricity is available, fans are also a great addition. For mood lighting, lanterns and candles are available in numerous styles and price points.
When defining your area, the most natural way to decorate is by adding plants, trees, flowers, vines and bushes. Non-plant materials can break up the space in the form of walkways, paths, gates, walls and statuary. These are great additions because they are permanent, low maintenance, don’t need to be watered and can be re-positioned if your needs change.
Color is a powerful Feng Shui cure and an easy design upgrade. We have discussed the warmer hues and how to incorporate them into your style. Now we review cool colors to see how they can help you initiate change as well as enhance your décor.
Green – Part of the wood element, green represents growth. Use green to inspire as well as create adventure and change. It is excellent to use if you feel stuck or stagnant.
Blue – Linked with water and sky, blue causes you to reflect and relax. Blue eases anxiety and is perfect for rooms in which you want to be yourself.
Purple – Historically the symbol of royalty, purple is the color of abundance, wealth and power. Use purple to increase your stature and status if you feel deficient or insecure.
White – Part of the metal element, white is all about focus, intensity and purity. It promotes creativity since it is basically a blank canvas.
If these hues appeal to you, change out some decorative items or add some new fabrics to experiment and see where they lead you and your style. Cool tones can be excellent for bedrooms and children’s rooms as well.
Every child’s bedroom needs the following:
1. A great lamp: you can find a lamp that will match almost any decor or theme. Use one by the bed and one on the desk if there is a desk in the room.
2. Pillows: there is a huge array of pillows available. Even for boy’s rooms. These are cute, cheap, comfy and fun.
3. Rug: for comfort and style, add a kid’s room area rug or bedside rug. It allows you to carry the bedroom theme onto the floor and is great for play time.
4. Piggy bank: Kids need to learn the importance of saving. A bank is a cute and meaningful accessory.
5. Trash can: an easy way to continue the theme and VERY necessary